Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Painting Canada 2 - Emily Carr at the Dulwich Picture Gallery

From the Forest to the Sea, Emily Carr in British Columbia opens to the public at Dulwich Picture Gallery on Saturday 1st November 2014.

From the Forest to the Sea, Emily Carr in British Columbia - at the Dulwich Picture Gallery
This is my video interview with Ian Desjardin, Director of the Dulwich Picture Gallery and Co-Curator (with Sarah Milroy) of a new exhibition about the famous Canadian artist, Emily Carr (1871-1945).




A blog post about my visit to this exhibition and images of paintings you can see in the exhibition follows shortly.

Link: Painting Canada: Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven - Review (2012 exhibition)

3 comments:

  1. He's right -- we Canadians think we know Emily Carr because she was always there -- reproductions in books and on the wall at school -- but I thought she only painted about 12 pictures because that's all we saw.

    Within hailing distance of Van Gogh. I love that observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! To surprise Canadians...!"

    How wonderful to see this remarkable artist go to the U.K. She was also a writer, I have two of her books. She used whatever substrates she could get her hands on to paint when things were lean which was most of the time. She was also trained traditionally and like Georgia O'Keeffe, needed to find a different way to express the world.

    There is a wonderful fictionalization of her life by Susan Vreeland called the "Forest Lover".

    Enjoy this one, Katherine - I wish I could go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous! Would love to go and have a look having only seen maybe a few pieces of her work in person. She is an artist I really wish more people knew of

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.