|Popular art books according to Good Reads|
Three years ago, in January 2009, I started the year by writing on this blog about what was happening to art books and the publishing industry.
At the time it was very apparent that a shift was happening within the book industry:
- the impact of digital technology would mean that books in the future would be very different
- that in turn meant there were major implications for the cost structures within publishing and distribution channels for selling books
This led to asking people about art books and we all had a major discussion on this blog about what was happening with art instruction books and the woeful way the content of some art instruction books had been downsized and downgraded.
Out of this came a post Your favourite art books - what you like.
It summarised your views into three categories
- your favourite art books - ones which you've found very helpful
- why you buy and read art books
- your views as to the characteristics of a good art book
Out of this I built a website. I guess I was wanting to make sure that the good art books didn't get buried! However I shouldn't have worried as Artists' Favourite Art Books has remained perennially popular with readers of this blog and visitors to my 'resources for artists' websites for the last three years.
I'm now thinking it's time to do an update and identify what are our favourite art books of the last three years. However. this time around I'd like to suggest some categories as a prompt. I's also like to ask you about ebooks for art.
What are your NEW favourite art books - published in the last three years?
Have a think about NEW art books (published in 2010, 2011 or 2012)
Which art books have you most enjoyed reading and/or learning from?
Which have become NEW favourite art books?
Are they better or worse than your favourite art books from the past? Why do you think that is?
Here's some prompts to get you started. You don't have to stick to these but you may find them helpful in reminding you about those books which have become your NEW FAVOURITES.
Please share your NEW FAVOURITES with us all via the comments to this blog post
Which is your FAVOURITE BOOK about:
- how to draw for beginners
- how to draw for advanced artists
- how to draw people
- how to draw landscapes and buildings
- how to draw (whatever)
Which is your FAVOURITE BOOK about:
- oil painting
- acrylic painting
- watercolour painting
- painting realism
- painting with imagination
- how to paint (whatever)
- composition and design
- artistic practice (whatever)
Which is your favourite book about
- an artist
- an art movement
- specific subject matter (whatever)
- an exhibition
- Which is your favourite art ebook?
At the end of the month I'll do a round up and we can see which of the books published in the last three years have had the most impact.
MAM POLL (January 2013) - Do you read art ebooks?
I've also set up the Making A Mark Poll for January with a question which is a bit easier to answer - the question is Do you read art ebooks?
I'd love to know which books work best on the Kindle, Nook or iPad.
The possible answers - and you can click more than one are:
- Yes - I read art instruction ebooks
- Yes - I read art history ebooks
- Yes - I read art business ebooks
- No - I don't have an ebook reader
- No - there are none I want to buy
- No - I prefer real art books
- I don't read any sort of art book
The poll is in the right hand column - just below the subscription section - and closes on 31st January. There'll be a post later that day to say what the results are