Friday, November 02, 2012

Who painted this? #2

Last week there was a lot of interest in Who painted this #1 - and the answer is at the end of this post.  Let's see how you all do with #2.

Who painted this? #2


Who painted this? #2 (and the rest!)

As you might expect, a lot of the paintings in this occasional series are going to be of subject matter I like by painters I like!

I'm expecting that some of you might guess the artist pretty quickly - but may struggle with the rest of the information required

If you want to play the game: the rules are:
  1. You need to leave your answer as a comment on this blog.  Howls of frustration can also be left.......
  2. In your comment, you must tell me ALL of the following:
    • the title of the artwork
    • the name of the artist
    • the date it was created
    • the media used
    • where it lives now
    • how you know all this eg how did you do your search (note 3 below)
  3. This is about using brains not technology - so please do not "cheat".  
    • PLEASE do NOT use any of the "image matching" technology which exists (eg Chrome or Tineye) - that's just plain lazy! My suspicions will be raised by those who appear to know the answer a bit too quickly!
    • You may use Google or any other search engine to search on WORDS in databases of images. 
  4. If you're not getting anywhere in the first 24 hours I'll leave a clue as a comment on the post.
The person who in my judgement is the first person to get to the answer by fair means will get a mention in my very popular weekly blog post - along with a link to their website or blog or both.

Who painted this #1 - the answer

For those who didn't check back the answer was Basket of Fruit by Caravaggio.  Websites differ as to its date - but somewhere between 1595 and 1602 would have been OK by me.

The person who guessed it first was Vivienne St Clair (A Painted Postcard).

10 comments:

  1. Sorry, that was rather a short, rude comment. I got over excited because I knew last week's too (being my favourite Italian) and couldn't post a comment on my iPad. Grrrr..
    Anyway, surprised and delighted I know this one. I saw it at a Singer Sargent exhibition in Venice a few years ago. It's called Gourds and painted around 1905-08 according to my catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I immediately recognize any John Singer Sargent watercolor and had seen this one many times.

    "Gourds"
    by John Singer Sargent
    1905-1908
    The Brooklyn Museum (special subscription fund)

    I went right to a book I have on Sargent ("Sargent" by Carter Ratcliff) , I found it there eventually on pg 178, problem was I was looking for the title word "pears", not gourds, so I went back online to get the title, then back to the book to look it up... sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the title of the artwork ----- Gourds
    the name of the artist ------ John Singer Sargent
    the date it was created ----1908
    the media used ------ Watercolor
    where it lives now ----The Brooklyn Museum, New York
    how you know all this eg how did you do your search (note 3 below) --- I used to collect digital images of John Sargent before and he moment I saw this I didn't think twice to google the John singer Sargent - Gourds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sargent ! Sorry am I spoiling the fun ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I didn't read the rules... now I have to look for the book I used to have

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found it ! "Gourds" 1905/1908 at The Brooklyn Museum. I have an old Watson Guptil book ( published 1970). Sorry for multiple posts, I love this game-when I know the answer !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gourds 1905-6 John Singer Sargent. watercolor, I recognized it as similar to a Portland,OR ptg. Looked in my Sargent watercolor book and it was the cover art.
    Bruce Ulrich

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do I know? I recognized it as a Sargent and knew the medium and with the magic of google (text of course) found its home at the Brooklyn Museum.

    My website is http://artofnoble.com

    John Singer Sargent (American, 1856-1925). Gourds, 1908. Transparent and opaque watercolor over graphite on white, thick, rough-textured, wove paper, 13 13/16 x 19 11/16 in. (35.1 x 50.0 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by Special Subscription, 09.822

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...this doesn't look like his usual art...i love it tho!!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.