Thursday, November 15, 2012

Georgia O'Keeffe - 125th Birthday

Today is Georgia O'Keeffe's 125th Birthday - so to celebrate here's a Pandora's box - all about Georgia.  If you like her work I'd suggest you do not open until you have some time on your hands!

O'Keeffe-(hands)
"Hands" by Alfred Stieglitz [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

All About Georgia

Her Estate keeps very careful control of her images so I have none to post here.

However I do have a lot of licensed images on my website About Georgia O'Keeffe - American Painter

Below is the table of contents of what this site covers - and there's a LOT below each of these headings.  I've been building and improving this website ever since my 2007 project to research her work!

I love this quotation of what Georgia had to say to those people who developed their own ideas about what her flower paintings were about.
Nobody sees a flower, really, it is so small. We haven't time - and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time.

If I could paint the flower exactly as I see it no one would see what I see because I would paint it small like the flower is small.

So I said to myself - I'll paint what I see - what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it - I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers.

...Well, I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower you hung all your own associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see of the flower - and I don't.

Georgia O'Keeffe
Here's an Architectural Digest slideshow of photos of her home at Abiquiu in new Mexico.

And here's a video of Georgia O'Keeffe talking about her work



Georgia O'Keeffe was born on 15 November 1887 in a farmhouse near Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. 

She died, age 98 in Santa Fe on March 6, 1986. Her ashes were taken up to the top of the Pedernal and as they were scattered to the wind she returned to her beloved "faraway".

3 comments:

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.