The late Liz Smail's sister who presented the award said that Liz had always emphasised colour and composition when teaching her students. She then confessed to knowing little about art - but made sure she used the two imperatives about colour and composition to guide her in choosing an artwork to receive the Award for the first time. She did well!
|The Elizabeth Smail Memorial Award|
“Colour mutation - Rosa mutabilis” (£995) by Susan Christoper Coulson
- very good weather - we were out all weekend!
- the Press preview for the big Autumn exhibition at Tate Britain yesterday
- not forgetting - I mislaid the catalogue which had all my notes - including the vital ones which say "feature this artist as well as the listings of artists, titles and prices! (I live in dread of doing this. I've never yet done it but have one or two close calls - and this was one of them!)
|View of part of the exhibition - there's lots to see |
what you can see in this photo is only about a third of the exhibition!
More views of work in the exhibition below
Florum is unique amongst the botanical art exhibitions that I'm aware of in that it's an "invite only" exhibition - and that 'invite' is not limited to the strictly botanical illustrator.
The exhibition includes 333 pieces of artwork of various media - although the majority are paintings. You can see examples of work from some of the more than 60 artists who are exhibiting in three galleries on the website: gallery one; gallery two; and gallery three.
Many artists are also members of a variety of other groups including The Linnean Society, the Royal Watercolour Society, the Pastel Society, the Royal Society of Miniature Painters as well as the Society of Botanical Artists and/or the Society of Floral Painters (Society of Floral Painters blog).
Exhibiting artists use a variety of media and a variety of styles. You can see some examples above and below.
|Artwork by Karen Birchwood|
typically priced £285
|Gouache paintings of fruit and wisteria by Wendy Cranston FSBA|
work is typically priced at £195
|Some weeds of cultivation (£400) watercolour painting by Penny Stenning SBA|
|Old Year, New Year (£330) - watercolour by Sue J Williams|
|Summer Fields (etching/aquatint £290) by Helen Hanson|
- Two botanical art exhibitions - in the UK and USA 22 Aug 2012
- Exhibition Review: Florum 2011 - in Sevenoaks 10 Sep 2011