- The most (and least) effective places for selling art in the last year - in terms of which places generate the most revenue and turnover
- The most (and least) profitable places for selling art in the last year - in terms of where did you generate the best profit
- Trends in selling art in the last 5 years
This year the overall theme is about identifying the best place that you have found to sell art. This month and next, the Making A Mark Opinion Polls will be looking at selling art from the perspective of flows - of money and potential collector traffic
This month I have:
- generated TWO polls rather than one
- the first focuses on income - which venue, place or channel generated the most revenue turnover in the last year
- the second focuses on the profitability of different venues, places or sales channels - ie which of these has proved to be the best place to sell after you take related expenses into account
- revised the categories to take account for last year's comments. I'm also getting better at tweaking the descriptions to avoid confusion.
#1. What was the best place to sell art in the last year (most revenue)?
This poll aims to identify the places which generate the most revenue for artists.
The categories for the different sales channels are:
- Commercial Gallery - Gallery Artist
- Gallery/Art Fair - "Invitation" Exhibition
- Art Society/Art Competition - Juried Exhibition
- Annual Art Fair / Festival
- "Rent a Space" Exhibition
- Street Art / Markets
- Open Studios
- Direct from Studio
- Online Gallery / Shop - eBay
- Online Gallery / Shop - Etsy
- Other Online Galley / Shop
- the MAIN way you have achieved sales as a fine artist
- ONLY sales in the last 12 months
#2. What was the best place to sell art in the last year (most profitable)?
Last Sunday I highlighted a blog post by Liz Crain (Liz Crain Ceramics) A Frank Look at Money and Venues in which she unpicks the costs, the opportunity costs and the potential losses of selling work at different venues. I called it an "eye-opener" and it's certainly a recommended read!
This second poll aims to identify the type of place which is most profitable in terms of the ratio of income to direct expenses. In other words which place nets you the best return for your efforts?
I'm using the same categories as the previous poll. This poll is just below the previous poll.
- 2011 - What's the MAIN way you have sold art in the last 12 months? (Poll results)
- 2010 - What's the MAIN way you have sold art in the last 12 months? (Poll Results)
- 2009: MAM Poll (August) results: the MAIN way you've sold art in the last 12 months
- 2008: What's the MAIN way you sell your art? - The Results.