Saturday, July 28, 2012

How to get people to subscribe to your blog

Making A Mark: Trend in subscriptions (and reach) January 2006 - July 2012
This week two things happened
  1. The number of subscriptions to Making A Mark topped 4,000 - it's been a long slow climb!
  2. I got a query about how to add the email subscription gadget to an art blog
I've written before about how to get subscriptions (see below) however it's a topic which never goes away!
If you want people to visit your blog you need to help them.
  • First of all you need to activate a feed for your blog.
  • Then you need to offer your visitors a subscription facility - so they can remember where to find you again and/or get your content sent to them every day.
I also had a big jump in subscribers when I made the subscriber links and widgets really easy to find. To start with they were half way down the side column. It was a bit like having a business card which never got handed out. Once I moved the subscription links to near the top (just under the information about visitors/subscribers) my subscriptions started to take off in a major way.
A simple explanation about how to add a subscription gadget to your blog

This was the query I received
Dear Katherine,

I am sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could help me understand how to acquire the "subscribe to this blog by email" widget or gadget or ?

I have a personal art blog on Blogger, and have been trying to figure it out on my own, but I don't understand how to get that emailing thing. Is it something that you must pay for?

I tried looking at Feedburner, but that wasn't clear to me...and I think I succeeded in putting a spot for people to "follow" my blog, but not by email, and I am not even sure I want that.

I can use my computer fairly well, but am not technically savvy, so I am probably just missing something and I don't know who else to turn to who is as blog savvy as you.

Again, I apologize for taking up your time, but if you understand what I am asking for and it won't be too much trouble, could you assist me?

Thank you very much,
I described the basics of what I do with this blog - you can find the instructions below.  They worked - the art blogger how has an email subscription form prominent on her blog! 

I have two different approaches - and described the approach for each

Get Blog Updates by Email
GET BLOG UPDATES BY EMAIL
Subscribe to Making a Mark by Email
Please note subscriptions only become live after you have verified the link in the email you will receive
This link code comes from feedburner. To get this GO TO:
  • Google Feedburner http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/myfeeds while logged into your Google Account
  • Select the Publicise tab
  • Select email subscriptions
  • Decide whether you want a form or a link - Feedburner provides code for both
  • Make sure you choose the correct code for the blogging software you use
  • Click the Go! box to implement the subscription form code (I choose to copy the code and then insert into an html gadget)
Use a Blogger gadget for subscriptions

SUBSCRIBE USING A FEEDREADER

To get this in your side column you need to get a Blogger gadget.
  • Select Layout format
  • Click "add a gadget" and 
  • Use the "Follow by email" gadget
  • OR Use the Subscription Links gadget



4 comments:

  1. Thank you again, Katherine! And this is a helpful post, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info. I didn't realize that blogger has a really easy 'follow' button. I added it! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine, I have recently started an art blog on blogger, I dont have any readers yet, but hopefully I am off to a good start with the help from your great info, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your posts contribute something positive to my life as an artist and since I've started a blog recently and am not technical at all this is so helpful! thank you

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.