Sunday, July 01, 2012

1 July 2012 - Who's made a mark this week?

Angus McEwan RSW RWS (Angus McEwan, Scottish Artist) has won the International Prize “Marche d’Acqua” Fabriano Watercolour 2012’ with his painting Taking the Strain 

Taking the Strain 2
watercolour on handmade Fabriano, 77 x 56.5cm (Unframed)
© Angus McEwan
"... for extraordinary technical skill, for the masterful use of light and colour, for the excellent ability to understand and value the paper produced specifically for award from paper masters of the paper museum. 
This is a biennial and really international exhibition.  The Paper and Watermark Museum conceived the idea and collborates with InArte and Ava (Venetian Watercolour Association) to select international artists to show in the exhibition
The artists participating in the exhibition are 51 from all over the globe (15 different Countries) of which 21 are young emerging artists, selected by the ‘Accademie di Belle Arti Italiane’ and International Art Schools and Accademy for their creativity.
The jurors were international:
  • England's David Paskett, President of the British Royal Watercolour Society, 
  • the Spaniard Pedro Cano, one of 60 artists invited by the Vatican on July 4 last year, to pay homage to Benedict XVI for the 60th anniversary of his ordination
  • Lynn Sures, a professor of the prestigious Corcoran College of Art and Design in Washington DC, 
  • John Carabelli, president of the Italian watercolor, 
  • Angelo and Toni Gorlini Vedù, internationally renowned artists.
Plus the artists came from 15 nations with Italy having 35% and the remainder coming from the USA, England, Scotland, Belgium, Spain, France, Finland, Japan, Egypt, South Korea, Portugal, China, Jordan and Syria.

You can see the exhibition in the new gallery at the Paper and Watermark Museum until August 26th and finally - a travelling exhibition is due to visit South Korea, Portugal, USA, Spain and Italy between September 2012 and the end of 2013.

Artists and Art blogs

This is a brilliant interview Five Minutes With: Grayson Perry.  My admiration for this man is on an exponential curve at the moment.


Drawing and Sketching

Lunch at the Portrait Restaurant - June 2012
11" x 16" pen and sepia ink in Moleskine sketchbook

Coloured Pencils and Pastels
Citrus Squared
8" x 8" Colored Pencil on Pastelbord
© Nicole Caulfield
Landscapes
Painting
Printmaking 
Street Art
Art Business
Art Economy
Art Competitions
  • I will be posting about the BP Travel Award but am currently waiting to hear back from Jo Fraser who was last year's winner and exhibited her work this year.
  • If you were thinking of entering the Sunday Times Watercolour competition you're too late - the deadline was last week.
Art Exhibitions

Art Exhibitions in London
Art Exhibitions in the USA
    Art Societies
    Art Television and Art Videos
    Colour
    Copyright
    Opinion Poll
    Techies
    • Today Apple closed down their old syncing service today and removed the iDisk and MobileMe Gallery apps from the App Store.  Artists who have previously had their website with Apple MobileMe have had to transfer their websites to new sites and the URLs for their websites have changed as a result. One such artist is Karin Jurick (A Painting Today) who explains in Linking to my Website and can now be found on http://www.karinjurick.com/
    • I lost my mobile phone on Friday - So if you've got my mobile number you can't now contact me! However I can now confirm that Lookout works.  I was able to 
      • locate it precisely (and it had "walked" from where I lost it - I got sent a Google Map with the precise location)
      • locked it
      • wiped the data from the phone
      • I just need to work out now whether the bloke who phoned me on Friday night to say he had it is actually genuine and really wants to return it to or whether I now need to report it as stolen.  If you're reading this please take the phone to Brentford Police Station and I will collect it from there and send you a reward.
    • Recommendations for a new mobile phone which work for artists who use the internet and take pics and videos are welcome.  I'm thinking of moving from Android to iPhone.
    and finally.....

    I came upon this website entirely by accident - and I don't ever remember seeing it talked about before.  I give you The Google Cultural Insititute.

    6 comments:

    1. Nice interview with Grayson Perry, I shared it on Facebook. I only knew him as that bloke that dresses up very silly, but since the Taste documentary I’ve come to appreciate him. He’s got something to say.
      Thank for the mention to my blog.
      PS about Apple...they’re rolling out a new operating system (only a year after Lion) this month....

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love the colors in the photo.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Katherine,
      I always enjoy your "Who's made a mark this week" wrap-up.

      Thank you for the coverage of my latest blog post, National Watercolor Society painting, and further down the link to the posted list from the NWS site.

      I'm still working my way through your post here, it usually takes a while with so many links and I don't always go in order.
      I am becoming a fan of David Nash's work as I pick my way through your linked sources. I love the scale and materials he works in and especially his themes. His work has a primal quality with a contemporary edge.
      One footnote question? Is "Butt" the British term for the American term tree "Stump"?
      ...due to your last post and the secondary discussions of terms, British vs American terms I figured I would ask.

      I would love to see a Lucian Freud exhibit make its way to our west coast.

      You lost mobile phone... I don't yet have an iPhone either but it would seem to make sense. Although not absolutely necessary, there are a lot of benefits to using devices from the same company, like compatibility.

      ReplyDelete
    4. It's the scope for my iPad and iPhone to both use iCloud which I find appealing.

      On the Butt front - but I think it probably is. to be honest I'm not sure. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt

      Freud seems to me to be very much East Coast rather than west coast. I wonder how Texas will like him.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Re: On the Butt front - I looked it up in several sources, dictionaries for slang etc. Never found a definitive answer.

        Found definitions saying:
        ... the blunt or larger end of ... something

        ... the smaller unused portion of ... something (as a cigarette butt)

        and to my surprise... a cask... or container for storing liquids...

        The first two would make sense.

        If anyone knows please answer.

        Delete
    5. When I moved to Australia a year and a half ago, my daughter suggested an iPhone.( I had an ancient Nokia !) It was good advice.

      What I think is best are all the different camera apps that make taking photos such fun, so much so that I hardly ever take my DSLR out unless I'm on a specific photo shoot. I can manipulate photos immediately and post directly to my blog or Facebook.

      And then there are all the other time-wasting apps to play with as well.

      Oh and occasionally I use it to make a phone call...

      ReplyDelete

    COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
    My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.