Society of Botanical Art: 2012 Prizewinners
The winners of the various Awards are listed below next to an image of the artwork which won the prize. Where their website could be identified this has been linked to their name - click the name to visit the website.
The Joyce Cuming Presentation Award: This is a legacy from founder member Joyce Cuming – a sterling silver Almoner’s plate crafted by Garrard & Co. who are the Crown Jewellers. The winner receives a certificate. This year this was won by Japanese artist Eiko Hamada SBA GM CBM '09.
|The Joyce Cuming Presentation Award|
Strelizia Nicolai by Eiko Hamada SBA GM CBM 09
watercolour (£500 - sold)
© Eiko Hamada
|The Margaret Stevens Award - Botanical artwork by Marilyn Wheeler|
various orchids in the wild
watercolour and pencil (£500 each)
© Marilyn Wheeler
|The Margaret Granger Silver Memorial Bowl |
for the best painting by a member elected in the previous two years
Botanical artwork by Hazel Rushwatercolour (£400 each)
© Hazel Rush
© Ian Pethers
(£195 - all sold)
|The President's Award for work in other media|
Flowers by Maureen Jordan
pastels - various prices
© Maureen Jordan
|The Daler Rowney Choice Award|
Medinilla Magnifica by Jill Winch
(watercolour - £595)
© Jill Winch
|Artwork by Linda Alexander (nee Meany)|
(left) Fonteyn II (oil on Linen) £3,400
(top right) Acorns (oil on linen) £995
(middle right) Autumn Light (oil on linen) £995
(bottom right) Still Life with Figs (oil on linen) £995
© Linda Alexander
|The Derwent Award - Japanese Tassel Fern|
Group of ferns (Driopteris and Polystichum) by Sue Vize
graphite and coloured pencil - priced between £225 and £325
© Sue Vize
The photo (right) shows the suite of ferns she entered in the show - all completed in graphite and coloured pencil.
The drawing which won the award is top right
The People's Choice Award will be determined by the votes cast by visitors to the exhibition which ends on Sunday 29th April.
Entrance to the exhibition is free and you will find it at Central hall Westminster.
You can read my review of this year's exhibition and find out who won the Certificate of Botanical Merit in the posts listed at the end of this post.
Next year's theme for the Annual Exhibition is "The Language of Flowers". The exhibition will again be held at Westminster Central Hall between 12th and 21st April 2013.
Exhibition entry schedules are available from the Executive Secretary. The deadline for entries is generally around the end of February.
- Society of Botanical Artists Annual Exhibition 2012: Call for Entries - an overview of what's required for those wanting to enter work for the Annual Exhibition
- Society of Botanical Artists Submission Day - and a botanical egg - a picture of the process on Submission Day
- 27th Annual Exhibition of the Society of Botanical Artists - which reviews the show
- Certificates of Botanical Merit at SBA 2012 - identifies the artists and images which this year were awarded a CBM
- A 'Making A Mark' Profile of Fiona Strickland about an interview with Fiona Strickland
- previous years - Society of Botanical Art: Exhibitions 2006-2012
Botanical Art Resources
- Makingamark's Botanical Art Compendium
- Botanical Art - Resources for Artists
- A History of Botanical Art - Resources for Botanical Art Lovers
- The Best Botanical Art Books
- Flowers in Art - Resources for Artists