Monday, April 12, 2010

Egg Tempera in three steps

Olika's Eggs
coloured pencils
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

Here's the first of my 'recap' posts this week - and this one focuses on egg tempera.

Back in 2006, I did an in-depth set of posts about a course I did with Professor Wallace at the Victoria and Albert Museum.

If you've ever wondered about what it's like to start painting with egg tempera from scratch try reading these posts which contain a lot of information.
I learned a very great deal which I tried to record so I didn't forget it in my blog posts! (Don't you find that writing instructions down really helps you to remember what people have told you? I know I do!)

It certainly stimulated an interest in pigments and their behaviour which has continued. However I don't think egg tempera and I were made for one another and I haven't pursued it since - although I did put the learning to good use by creating an information site which has been well received by those who do want to paint in egg tempera. See Egg Tempera - Resources for Artists

However I still look at egg tempera paintings and think about giving it another go. I'm sure it was my brush technique which was the problem. That and the fact that I actually enjoyed drawing the Italian bowl rather more than I did painting it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Just in case you don't already know, Dulwich Picture Gallery (south east London) is having an exhibition on the Wyeth family from June to August 2010.

    http://www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk/exhibitions/coming_soon/the_wyeth_family.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I've already got that one marked on my calendar. The last time I saw work by the Wyeths was when I was in Rockport!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.