Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Nominate for Making A Mark Awards #4

I'm now moving on to the Making A Mark Awards where I've previously identified both contenders and winners.

When I started these Awards back in 2006, I wanted to try and identify excellence in blogging art and the blogs which were the most influential. In order to avoid spurious accuracy, I decided to refine that as being those blogs which had most influenced me.

In 2009, it seems appropriate to open up the identification of excellent blogs to the wider community of art bloggers - and what influences YOU.

I'm still going to decide the winner of each award at this stage - and will also be identifying a few contenders of my own. However I'm interested to hear what you all think too.
What you need to do - it's very simple!
  • Leave a comment on this blog - BEFORE 24th December
  • Identify the title of the Making A Mark Award that you want your nominee to be considered for
  • Identify the name of the blog, its URL (eg The Art Blog http://theartblog.blogspot.com) and the name of the blogger
  • Say why you think this blog should be considered for a Making A Mark Award.
That's it!

I'll collate all your nominations and comments in relation to each award and consider alongside those blogs which I have in mind as being worthy of consideration.

The Making A Mark Awards will be announced on the 29th and 30th December.
See my Making A Mark website for a list of previous award winners and an outline of the reasons why they won

Nominations sought for:

I'm going to ask for nominations for the remaining awards in four separate blog posts to try and keep it simple.

Today I'm looking at nominations for two awards whose winners have a set a high standard to date.
"What they call talent is nothing but the capacity for doing continuous work in the right way." Winslow Homer
The Painting a Day Stickability Shield - for daily painters who maintain a consistently high output of onsistently good quality paintings over the course of the year and set a good example to others. Previous winners have been:
The Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup - Art can be quite a lonely activity and it's noticeable that people often like to have some sort of involvement in groups and projects related to art! This award is for
  • EITHER a major and reputable new project which adds value and involves a large number of bloggers
  • OR or a project which has grown over the course of the year in question or otherwise had some significant impact during the course of the year
Previous winners have been:
I hope you'll be able to leave a comment below - identifying an art blog which has set a high standard within its category and been influential so far as you are concerned

Links: The Making A Mark Awards 2010 for blogging about art - Making A Mark: End of Year Review

10 comments:

  1. The Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup - I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Virtual Challenge, but I nominate Gabi Camponario's Urban Sketchers as a project that has grown far beyond the 100 correspondents on the USk blog, with it's presence on Flickr and Facebook as well as individual cities that have started their own urban sketching branches. I believe it has encouraged many people to start viewing the places in which they live and travel differently, and either to begin sketching for the first time, or to take it up again after a hiatus, or to expand their subject matter to include urban scenes. The variety and vivacity of the posts on the Urban Sketchers site is consistently inspiring.

    http://www.urbansketchers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely counts as a project Cathy - thank you for your nomination.

    Urban Sketchers is also a good example of a project which was set up before 2009 but has continued to grow in significance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to nominate the Virtual Paintout http://virtualpaintout.blogspot.com/ for The Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup.

    It is a mix of reality and technology as Bill Guffey hosts a different city each month on Google Street Views. Artists meander through city streets virtually, choose a view, paint and submit it for posting.

    It broadens people's horizons as to what other parts of the world are like in finer detail, encourages compositional skills and provides a forum for artist's work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the risk of sounding self serving, I'd like to nominate my own blog, Painting a Dog a Day (www.paintingadogaday.com) for the stickability award. My initial challenge in Oct 2006 was to do 5 paintings/week for a year - today will be painting 814 (or #228 for this year). The daily pieces have gotten juried prizes at international exhibitions and are widely collected around the world. I've got some good momentum going and I'm loving it! Thanks so much Katherine for all you share (it tires me out most days, just reading your blogs!!) and for your consideration - Kim Santini

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be shy Kim - think of it like a conventional art competition. You have to enter your work for those so why not these awards too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to second Jeanette, the virtual paintout blog for the best Art Project blog. I love the whole idea of painting from streetview, and it provides a world of opportunity to virtually travel around various places and pick what interests you most. The end results bring out much more than standard postcard views of any place and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also like to nominate Bill Guffey's Virtual Paintout http://virtualpaintout.blogspot.com/ for The Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup.
    Participating in this is really an adventure, as everyone has to find their own subject location on Google Streetview -- and the resulting very diverse array of entries is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also nominate Urban Sketchers for the best art blog virtual challenge cup. 2009 was its year and wow has it grown and spread! 2010 will be even bigger. And the posts and sketchers are all so completely different, and have inspired so many to become urban sketchers themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'd like to nominate my site: www.cotswoldsketchbook.co.uk in the painting a day stickability category, I've been doing this since April 2009 and havnt missed a working day since! yet! I paint the landscape in the area I live and occasionally where I am on holiday. Its proving to be quite popular and the word is spreading, thanks for all you do to encourage other artists..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to nominate Loriann Signori's painting-a-day for the Painting a Day Stickability Shield.
    http://loriannsignori.blogspot.com.
    Loriann has been blogging since October 4th 2007.
    From October 4th to December 31, 2007 she posted
    98 beautiful pastel paintings. For 2008 she posted 309 beautiful pieces. Currently as of today December 15 she has posted 315 pieces. Not only are her paintings beautiful, they are instructional as well. Most posts describe the process and encouragement for others to keep painting. Loriann's blog is very inspirational to all that visit.
    She has won many awards in juried shows throughout the east and midwest.

    Loriann is dedicated to the process and committed to posting daily.

    My name is Doug Daniels http://www.doug-daniels.blogspot.com. Thank you for considering Loriann's blog.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.