Saturday, January 10, 2009

I'm improving my botanical knowledge

As many of you know I love gardens and drawing flowers and plants. This week I found out about and instantly signed up to receive the Botany Photo of the Day missive from the UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research located in Vancouver, Canada.

I could do with improving my botanical knowledge - I have been known to post a drawing and then ask what it is! I'm one of those people who always looks at the labels and signs on plants, shrubs and trees in botanical gardens BUT the problem is I can't remember them all afterwards. A regular email is going to be a nice simple way of doing learning more about plants - each photo comes with an explanation about the plant and one plant a day will do me nicely!

I've already learned the name of one plant which I'd heard of before and seen it matched to a tree which I liked but didn't know the name of! See Jan 9, 2008: Trachycarpus fortunei

What's very cute about this site is that the missive you receive each day gives you the links to access photos posted on the following day in the previous three years. On the website, you can also scroll through posts from the previous few days. There is also a facility to include a user-submitted photo and there is also a photo of the day web forum where people can submit their photos. About Botany Photo of the Day explains how this works.

Now I'm wondering whether any of the other botanical gardens are doing the same sort of thing.........

Resources for Artists & Art Lovers - Botanical Art, Flowers & Gardens in Art


For more information for artists interested in botanical art, drawing and painting flowers and gardens see my Resources for Artists information sites listed below.
Note: Many thanks to botanical artist Linda C Miller for the information about the Botany Photo of the day which she posted in the Yahoo Group Botanical Art & Naturalist Illustration


2 comments:

  1. This is very timely for me, and so helpful. I am dreadful when it comes to names of flowers. I have to ask friends via email what they are as I have taken hundreds of photos of flowers over the last 4 years.
    This is great, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Terry, this could not be MORE timely. I have signed up for the "botanicals" and have bookmarked this post of yours. Thank you so much, Katherine.
    annie

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.