Thursday, January 15, 2009

Do you need an art dictionary?

I've created a new information site called Reference Books for Artists. I've recently been finding that I wanted to have an authoritative interpretation of a term or facts about an artist, could not find an adequate explanation online and had no book to turn to.

So I've now bought a couple of books - The Yale Dictionary of Art and Artists and The Thames & Hudson Dictionary of Art Terms (World of Art) - and I'll be posting a review of both of these very soon.

It then occurred to me that maybe it would be a good idea to see what else is out there - and actually there's rather a lot of good quality reference books by reputable academic publishers and well as more popular publishers.

featured lens Reference Books for Artists

Do you want to find out more about art and artists? Do you want to know what that art term means? Do you need a dictionary of artists? Find out about reference books for artists which fill in the gaps in the books you currently have in your library....


Note: You can find out more about making art by consulting the following

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine,
    I do need one! I will check both of these out and then probably order one from Amazon.

    What I am finding is that the more I study and read -the more I need to do additional studying. My teacher (Robert Liberace) constantly mentions different renaissance artist such as Sarto, Tiepolo and others. On a recent trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC I finally saw several Sartos and now I understand.

    A frustration for me is that the more I have been reading the more I realize I need to know/learn. At times wish I had studied art history in college; there is simply so much information out there, that at times I feel -very backwards and uneducated.

    Have a great one!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Larousse Dictionary of Painters, published in 1976 (french) and 1981 (english). Of the 550 entries, less than ten are female. For example, it has Orazio Gentileschi but not his daughter Artemisia, who gained so much prominence in the intervening years. Missing are Joan Mitchell, Helen Frankenthaler, Grace Hartigan, countless others. Having several books devoted solely to women's history is necessary to compensate. Any single compilation will have a bias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting, I had no idea there was such a thing. Need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.