Thursday, May 31, 2007

500 years of female portraits in western art

María Teresa (1638–1683), Infanta of Spain, 1651–54
Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez (Spanish, 1599–1660)
The Jules Bache Collection, 1949 (49.7.43)
Permanent Colllection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
Photograph Credits

Dee Farnsworth alerted me to this You Tube Video 500 years of female portraits in western art.

It was put together by eggman913 and is simply amazing. I do wish he'd publish a list of all the portraits included and who they were by. Maybe it will turn into one of those great competitions where people have to try and name them all?!

All you need to do is click on this link http://youtube.com/watch?v=nUDIoN-_Hxs (and make sure that 'MP3/streaming' is not blocked by your security).

[Update - to include above image] I don't know if the Met version of "Maria Theresa" was in or not as I've only watched it once - but this video has made me spend some time looking at female portraits - and also made me think about wanting to look at more in the future and how they have developed over time - both on screen and in exhibitions. I'm greatly intrigued by all the portraits presented and the very many different ways of portraying the female face and head.

3 comments:

  1. someone alerted me to that utube thing - it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing site! What a lot of research you've done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.angelfire.com/nc/boni/womenid.htm

    Complete list of portraits and artists. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.