Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Protecting your frames

Symonds Yat - blue green and gold (£450)
coloured pencil
image 12" x 16"; frame 50cm x 60cm
ivory double mat and framed in American Oak by 'b2'
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

I picked up my framed work for the Art for Youth North 2007 exhibition from my favourite framer yesterday. Brian Campbell of b2 exhibitions in Bethnal Green does an excellent job of framing for exhibitions at a very reasonable cost. If you live in London you might want to check him out. Brian believes in only using wood from sustainable resources and my work has been framed in American Oak. He's also very flexible about reusing frames, recutting mounts and doing swops for me which makes framing for exhibitions rather more economical. I'm pleased with the American Oak frame. I've been noticing in exhibitions recently that frames seem to be plainer and plainer.

A tip for you! Brian always cling films the framed picture so that the frame edges are covered when they are stacked. This provides good protection and helps to prevents marks being made on the frame during the stacking process. It also means I can avoid using cardboard corner protectors which (a) add to the space required and (b) results in exhibitors normally asking for them to be removed prior to stacking if space is limited!

I've got a new page on my website which shows you all the work going to the exhibition. I hope you like the new slideshow function - it's the first time I've used it and I'm quite pleased with it. Let me know if you think the layout needs changing - I wasn't quite sure about having two going at the same time so I've got the framed work on automatic and the portfolio work is user prompted!

All work is for sale and instead of having a gallery deduct commission, the charity UK Youth gets it instead. If anybody is interested in buying any work you can reserve a work prior to the exhibition by contacting the exhibition organiser Claire Cadogan on 01845 577 238 or e-mailing her - claire.cadogan@tiscali.co.uk The work will be 'for sale' during the course of the exhibition until such point as payment has been received. Please read the notes on the website for all other details.

Now if I get a few spare minutes this afternoon I'll set up the blog post for tomorrow morning which will show you all the work going to the exhibition. After that there will probably be a gap or intermittent posts only for just over a week as I go up north tomorrow (to James Herriot country) to deliver work to the exhibition and attend various events. I'll probably be getting a bit of sketching done while in North Yorkshire as well and Gayle is coming across to the exhibition for the Artist's night on Tuesday next week.

"He who must not be bored while I sketch" is soooooooo pleased that he gets to stay home as I've decided to pay my mother a visit and consequently he doesn't have to do two long trips on successive days! ;).

Links:
  • b2 exhibitions, 5 Peary Place, London E2 0QW Tel. No. 020 8983 1109
  • UK Youth: the leading national youth work charity supporting over 750,000 young people, helping them to raise their aspirations, realise their potential and have their achievements recognised via non-formal, accredited education programmes and activities.
  • Art for Youth North 2007 (17th-19th April) - details, events, directions and contacts.
Technorati tags: , , ,

6 comments:

  1. The work for your show is lovely and the framing looks terrific. . This post was quite timely for me as I've now taken home my framed artwork from my show and discovered that the one frame I paid to have framed in lovely wood has a very noticeable scratch in the finish and another that I framed has a big gouge in the plexiglass. I thought I carefully protected them with paper between each when I stacked them but obviously it wasn't good enough.

    I really like the slide function on your website and shows the work off well. It's FAR superior to all the ones I've seen on other sites which I generally find annoying for calling attention to the slide programs cleverness. Is the slide function part of SiteKreator or something available for any websites? If so, would you share where to find the program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana - thanks for the comments about my work. Bubble wrap and cardboard corners are great for transporting once you've got the work back in your own hands but having work in exhibitions always means they can get knocked about. I wouldn't feel too badly about it, I guess your experience is pretty much 'par for the course'.

    The slideshow function is a SiteKreator one - and you get lots of options for how you operate as well it which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine - the slide show works great. I like the layout as it is. You are so good at these technical things...
    I particularly love the drawing, "christmas in chesire". It has such a great wintery feel to it. Good luck with the show. It's so nice that the gallery is donating their share to UK Youth charity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous work Katherine. I'm sure it will be a hit. Yes frames can take a beating in exhibitions and transportation so protecting them as best you can is always important but no guarantee of success.

    The slide shows are neat! I like the concept very much. I'm quite fond of the wintry scene too I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great artwork!!

    While I like slideshows when I'm browsing on a site (provided they're not slow to load), I don't from a linking point of view because I can't deep-link to a particular page/image. If I'm blogging something that's caught my attention, I need to be able to link directly to it, not to a top section on a site. Same goes for websites that are created with Flash, and all I can link to is the main URL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work. I liked the slides -- especially after I made them bigger by clicking on the little version.

    The winter scene is my favorite. So peaceful. I felt the tension in my ribs loosen up as I looked at it.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.