Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Giverny Trees #4 (I tried again!)

Giverny Trees #4
20cm x 30cm, pastel
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

Some of you will have read "If at first you don't succeed........" about producing another version of a favourite view which has already sold.

Well I got back from my trip and took another look at this - which I'd been working on before the trip. This version is much looser than the ones in the previous post (see if you agree) - and the values and colours are much more as I remember it.

However.......I think I'm still at the "being in two minds as to whether or not to whack in a bit more dark red somewhere" stage. And I'm leaning towards 'Yes' at which point I have to deal with 'Where?' Anyway, I thought you might like to see it. Comments are always welcome and you can always try and stop me wielding that red!

I think I'm going to try and get a bit more pastel done this summer. I sorted out my UK travelling pastel cases before I went up north - but they sat in the back of the car in the end and didn't come out as the weather although very sunny was not always warm in the places I was sketching - and I'm a warm weather pastel artist!

Anybody interested in Monet's garden at Giverny should refer to the previous post for more details or the links below.

Links:
Technorati tags: , , , , , ,

5 comments:

  1. I really like this as you've not tipped the greens as blue as you often do - the grass reads as slightly pink in places on my screen - or is it just the complementary effect on a neutral colour? so not sure about adding red - maybe enhance the pinkness very very slightly?

    it is very evocative of the area along the little stream at Giverny :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way it looks but if you add the red, I am sure it will still look great. Looks like a nice place to visit.

    I have just joined an art association here locally. They have a plein air group which goes out on Wednesdays. Tomorrow will be my first time to join the group. They are going to a private home with a garden. She is a former art teacher. Said the flowers may not be bloomed because of the weather but she will set up several still lifes for us. I'm looking forward to it. Won't meet the others until I get there. Now I will have company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely--there's something fresh and spring-like about the painting...rather energetic and refreshing to see. I'm wondering where the red would go and why you feel the urge to add red somewhere. You're smart to pause and reflect when you not sure instead of falling into the trap of adding a dab of this and a dab of that until you have mud (spoken from experience!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments folks! Jana - I used to be an inveterate dabber and I'm now trying to be a reformed character! ;)

    That's really good to hear about the plein air group Jeanne - I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

    I think I'll look at it some more - I find it generally tells me in the end what I need to do so long as I supply the patience.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments folks! Jana - I used to be an inveterate dabber and I'm now trying to be a reformed character! ;)

    That's really good to hear about the plein air group Jeanne - I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

    I think I'll look at it some more - I find it generally tells me in the end what I need to do so long as I supply the patience.........

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.