- Threadneedle Prize 2014 - The Shortlist
- Tina Jenkins wins Threadneedle Prize 2014
- Interview with Winner of Threadneedle Prize 2014
So here is a visual overview of the exhibition with my comments on what I observed.
Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2014The exhibition comprises 63 paintings, sculptures, drawings and prints. You can see them online on the website. Visitors to the exhibition have until 5pm on Tuesday 7 October to vote for their favourite piece to win the £10,000 prize.
|Works by Alan Mcgowan, Michael Sydney Moore, Freya Payne and Craig Wylie (shortlisted)|
The consensus was that the judges wanted to give much more emphasis on the figure.
I certainly found this very evident in the content of the works selected for the exhibition. There's a very strong emphasis on the figure although not every work includes a figure. The works selected demonstrated the diversity that exists in figurative art - with some straying fairly far into the conceptual.
Interestingly, this means that when selectors are trying to achieve diversity that only the very best of paintings of a certain type will be selected. This tends to affect those who paint in a highly realistic way.
However the diversity of selected works is not just about the style of the artwork, it's also about the diversity in the materials and media used and, importantly, how they are used.
|Acrylic paint on canvas and stretcher (£4,000) by James Tailor227 x 73 x 80cm|
This piece is quite literally made of paint. There is no support other than the stretcher.
By using unconventional stretchers and overlooked but recognizable objects within his work, James is trying to challenge the perception of what a painting is and encompass the world beyond the gallery into his practice. The work does this by moving away from the prototypical canvas and stretcher; a conclusion which is the result of three years of experimentation
|Left: The Blade (£15,000) by Shanti Panchal (Watercolour) |
- it takes a while to notice the lady has an artificial leg and is wearing a blade.
Middle: Untitled by Tom Jean Webb (£4,000) - this is a drawing on sewn cotton fabric. He also another work in the show.
Right: Two works by Alastair Gordon.
If I'm honest some of the work looks better as a digital print and in the catalogue than they do when seen up close. For example, I'm convinced the selectors must have thought that the two paintings on the right above were a trompe l'oeil and that the wood support was painted - but sadly it's not. Plus even the tape is tape not paint.
|Beckett and Bernini (£24,000) by Kim Meredew|
Marble and granite (Chair) slate and limestone
Not all the works are framed. A very strong shortlisted contender for the Threadneedle Prize is hung on bulldog clips and screws in the wall. One wonders whether the reluctance to frame is actually linked to cost of framing and the cost of a courier for a large frame.
|The Net (£2,000) by Thomas Allen|
charcoal and sanguine, 150 x 240cm
One of the shortlisted works - hung on bulldog clips
The drawing is about the relationship between the artist and his girlfriend conducted over the internet
|The Conductor (£6,000) by Barbara Polderman|
Mixed media, 150 x 140 x 50 cm
The opposable big toes in orange velour was also very disturbing!
|Small works were displayed extremely well on dark grey walls - and most were presented in a very professional fashion|
|Works by Carol Anderson Knight, Thomas Tichy, David Teager-Portman (shortlisted) and Tom Jean Webb|
|Works by Suzy Murphy, Ben Johnson and Morwenna Harrison|
These are all sizeable paintings - the two on the left are figurative art without the figures
The Winner of the £10,000 Visitors' Choice Award will be announced at 7pm, Wednesday 8th October at an Evening Viewing (6-8pm) of The Threadneedle Prize: Figurative Art Today and The Curated Space by Sacha Craddock. Admission Free and there is a Pop-up Bar.
The Threadneedle Prize 2014
- Interview with Winner of Threadneedle Prize 2014
- Tina Jenkins wins Threadneedle Prize 2014 - announcement of the winner plus pictures from the Awards Dinner
- Threadneedle Prize 2014 - The Shortlist A review of the artwork and artists shortlisted for the Threadneedle Prize 2014.
- The Threadneedle Prize 2014 - what's changed and how to enter Review of the changes in the 2014 Threadneedle Prize and the Call for Entries.
The Threadneedle Prize 2013
- Clare McCormack and Lisa Wright win Threadneedle Prize 2013
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Shortlist announced - a review of the artists and their works shortlisted for the Threadneedle Prize
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Selected Artists List of the artists (+ websites) selected to show their paintings and sculpture in the Threadneedle Prize 2013 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries.
- One month left to enter £30000 Threadneedle Prize 03 Jun 2013 Overview of the Call for Entries for the £30000 Threadneedle Prize (2013) for Figurative and Representational Art - deadline 4 July 2013.
Threadneedle Prize 2012 - more from Making A Mark
- Call for Entries for £30000 Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Making a Mark 03 Mar 2012 Overview of the Call for Entries for the £30000 Threadneedle Prize for Figurative and Representational Art - deadline 23 May 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: Analysis of entries 14 Jun 2012 Threadneedle Prize 2012: An analysis of the art competition entries and artwork and artists selected and comparison to 2011.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: names of selected artists 21 Aug 2012
- List of selected artists for the Threaneedle Prize Exhibition 2012 - plus links to their websites.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Exhibition now Online 17 Sep 2012
- how to access the Online Exhibition of the Threadneedle Prize 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Shortlisted Artists 25 Sep 2012
- The winners of both The Threadneedle Prize (£30,000) and Visitors' Choice Prize (£10,000) will be announced at a special Awards Dinner on Wednesday 10 October 2012 - to which I'm invited.
- Review: Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2012 27 Sep 2012
- Review of the Threadneedle Prize for Painting and Sculpture 2012 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: The Making a Mark Select Six 29 Sep 2012
- An alternative shortlist for the Threadneedle Prize 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - the Award Winners 11 Oct 2012
- Ben Greener wins Threadneedle Prize 2012. Robert Truscott wins People's Choice Award 2012.
2011 Threadneedle Prize
- Threadneedle Prize 2011 - a new selection process 26 Apr 2011
- Shortlist for Threadneedle Prize 2011 dominated ...08 Sep 2011
- Threadneedle Prize: The Making a Mark Select ...26 Sep 2011
- Review: Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2011 22 Sep 2011
- Henriette Simson wins Threadneedle Prize 2011 06 Oct 2011