The deadline for digital submission is the 2nd January 2014 and receiving days are 24-25 January 2014.
The Annual Exhibition exhibits the best of contemporary painting, sculpture, printmaking and drawing sourced from member artists and through open submission.
Founded in 1823, the RBA seeks submissions of work displaying the highest standards of skill, expression and concept of draughtsmanship.All quotations are from either the RBA or Mall Galleries websites.
|RBA Annual Exhibition 2013 - small works by Judith Gardner RBA NEAC and Barbara Richardson RBA|
What sort of artwork gets selected for this exhibition?
You have two big advantages when submitting work to the RBA due to the fact that the art society has embraced the scope offered by digital technology. This allows the Society to have digital information on view which is very helpful to both prospective entrants - and potential buyers!
You can see a virtual version of the exhibition on the RBA website of works in last year's exhibition on the RBA website. This provides:
- a reasonable feel for the type of artwork which gets selected for this exhibition.
- information about which work by members sold in the exhibition and hence what the art collectors who come to this exhibition like.
You can also view the the RBA exhibition catalogue for the 2013 exhibition. This very usefully indicates the type of media of artwork exhibited (both members and non-members) and more importantly the prices of work selected for the exhibition.
Do please bear in mind that a number of the members are well established professional artists with a following and their prices will reflect this fact.
- Oil paintings completely dominate the exhibition. It is however slightly confusing on the website because the huge number of members' oil paintings rate four categories: oil, oil on canvas, oil on board and oil on paper!
- there is a respectable showing by the sculptors and printmakers across a range of media
- there are few paintings in watercolour and mixed media
- there were no works in digital media or video which are both well established media for contemporary artwork
|RBA 2013 - Images of monochrome works and fine art prints|
The exhibition was very colourful last year - but it also included monochrome work
The Society exhibits leading artists who employ a sound knowledge and application of draughtsmanship as the basis of their work.